Friday, April 24, 2009

Sisterhood of Start-ups (SOS)

The old saying "It's all about who you know" is all to real in the start up world. Since I've been living in DC, I have been fortunate enough to meet interesting, generous and well connected people from all walks of life. It's been a fantastic learning experience, and I must say I have never been in a city where everyone really "has your back" and wants to see you succeed.

Recently, through the Homeward Trails organization I had the pleasure of meeting an up-and-coming photographer, Leah Stern, of Leah Stern Photography. She is not only a do-gooder (which I love), but she has a brilliant photographic eye. Via Leah (I'm such a poet), I was introduced to Chelsea, of Simple Pleasures Consulting. Chelsea's start up concept is a holistic approach to wedding planning where it's less about the stress, and all about the well being and happiness of the bride and groom. Chelsea has a 360 degree approach that will turn bridezilla into Buddha (but healthy and beautiful of course :) ). Last, but certainly not least, in the start-up talent pool is Clare, of Flowers by Clare. I met, Clare through a friend of a friend (one of those 6 degrees of Kevin Beacon type situations), and boy am I glad I did! Not only is Clare a wedding veteran (with 24 and counting under her belt), but she is a very gifted flower designer. This combo means she is the perfect person to have on your side for an easy breezy beautiful floral experience at your wedding or special occassion!

So, myself and the other three start ups have decided to join talent forces in sort of a Sisterhood of Start-ups (SOS). The SOS will not share the same pair of jeans, but we will work together to support each other's business ventures. It's such a unique and special thing to have a female support system in business, and I for one am looking forward to the next SOS luncheon!

No comments:

Post a Comment