Friday, April 3, 2009

It Takes a Village


Today I spent most of the day in the previously mentioned mystical world of Crystal City. Turns out it is not so mystical after all (i.e. no munchkins, wizards, witches, or flying monkeys), but it is a multi-leveled "urban village"...yep the Southerners have those here!


In all my East Village years I've never heard of an Urban one, but they do exist! This village is only a few blocks long, but extremely dense with business people, government employees and residents. The biggest kicker for me is that the entire place is built over a concourse or "mall" like tunnel; through which people can walk the entire length of the village, grocery shop, drop their clothes off at the dry cleaner, shop, and eat without going outside! What are we turning into Meerkats?


Interesting stuff though....the search continues!

1 comment:

  1. They have something like that in Toronto, where the subway concourse is like a shopping center, with clothing stores, grocery stores and restraunts...considering my aversion to the sun, I loved that idea..now if only they can come up with a way to do that here! LOL

    ReplyDelete