Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Poll #2: It's a cake in a cup...discuss

To cupcake or not to cupcake? That is my question!

The Renaissance of the cupcake that started with Magnolia in New York has now spread it's buttery teachings south, to DC. Here, the cupcake is such a dessert phenomenon that I'm surprised they have not commissioned a new mural to be painted on the ceiling of the Library of Congress with buttercream swirls reaching out for the sprinkles of Hello Cupcake, Cake Love and Red Velvet Cupcakery!

In fact, I'm finding it hard to resist the temptation to jump on the band wagon since every time I tell someone I'm opening a bakery they immediately say, "Will you have cupcakes?". Thus, I ask you all for your opinions once again!

Click here to take my new poll: It's a cake in a cup...discuss

One major thing I can agree on with cupcake enthusiasts is the ease of making these cakes in a cup. In fact, the history of the cupcake teaches us that these little cakes where also called "number" cakes due to the easy-to-memorize "cup" measurements required for the recipe: One cup of butter, two cups of sugar, three cups of flour and four eggs plus one cup of milk and one spoonful of soda.

The major argument I have with cupcake people is this- does size really matter? Which brings me full circle to the theme of my next post...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment