Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Magic Behind The Happiest Place on Earth

I heart DisneyWorld! Anyone who doesn't like DisneyWorld better be named Bugs Bunny and be out of work! Ok, I get that with all the magic comes the long lines, ridic prices and worst of all - screaming kids. But, if you can see through all those obstacles you can really appreciate all the wonders the place has to offer. As a prospective business owner I view DisneyWorld as a great classroom...

In fact, it makes me a little bitter to know that I spent all that money and four years of time to learn about retailing and marketing when all I really needed to do is buy a year round "magic" pass at DisneyWorld. From a retailing/marketing perspective Disneyland is my sensei and I its lowly Ralph Macchio! From the moment you step off the plane in Orlando, as a consumer, they have you hooked. Informational (i.e., promotional) videos while you are stuck on a bus for 1/2 hour, branded key cards that second as your park tickets and third as a credit card, mazes of branded/themed merchandise you have to walk through just to get out of a ride....the list of marketing genius goes on and on!

I would be doing a disservice to my food oriented blog if I didn't mention the Disney delectables. From Mickey shaped rice crispy treats to filet mignon - Disney has you covered! I recommend the turkey legs and churro (not together)....delish!

I only had two major gripes as a consumer: (1) Disney is renowned for their customer service... yet we could hardly wrangle a "have a nice day” out of most of the greeters. In these tough economic times it is key to pump up the customer service and make sure you are showing gratitude to your loyal customers! (2) The prices were as steep as the Tower of Terror ride! For example, to buy our hilarious picture of our terrified faces from the Tower of Terror a 8"x10" was over $20! To purchase a bottle of Dasani water you're looking at throwing down at least $2.50. I think instead of M-O-U-S-E, Disney should start spelling out R-I-P-O-F-F. Look, everyone expects high prices from the happiest place on earth, but to make us feel better about it shouldn't our totals be followed by an extra chipper "Have a Nice Day"?

2 comments:

  1. We love Disney too, and are going back this summer. Can't wait ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. $20 for an 8x10 you could buy it for $.09 on Shutterfly. So, so wrong! But, how can you not buy it when it when you survived that experience? Isn't it weird how we always buy the pic from the ride that gave us the biggest thrill? We are buying proof that we survived!

    ReplyDelete